Culmen Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School Yearbook 1938 – 2006
In cooperation with the Scotch Plains-Fanwood Board of Education and the High School library, the CULMEN Yearbooks from 1944 to 2006 are available here.
The 1942 issue is available here, but there was no 1943 edition. Prior to 1942 only class pictures were available. We’ve included the class picture of the Senior Class of 1938.
If you do have any other yearbooks or images, please Contact Us.
1930’s

Fanwood was founded in 1895 around the Central Railroad of New Jersey, which passed through during the 1800s. The old Fanwood train station, built in 1874, stands as the oldest original train station in Union County and remains the center of many community activities. It houses the Fanwood Museum and is a meeting place for various groups.

It’s believed Fanwood was named after Fanny Wood, a journalist who wrote about the area. Quoting from a 1973 letter in the Fanwood Museum from Justus Agnoli, Fanwood’s representative to the Union County Cultural and Heritage Commission: “In 1874 the Central Railroad of New Jersey constructed the present right-a-way and built a new station to serve this area. Mr. John Taylor Johnson, then president of the new railroad, selected the name FANWOOD for the new station, in honor of Miss Fanny Wood, a frequent visitor to this area, who wrote numerous glowing of its scenic beauty for leading New York periodicals, thereby attracting new residents and investors to this section.”

“Images of America: Fanwood” , a book by the Fanwood Historic Preservation Commission. See a preview and purchasing information.
Kramer Manor, Fanwood’s Corner of Black History

Kramer Manor is a diverse neighborhood with a proud history. It encompasses portions of Fanwood and Scotch Plains, McGinn Elementary School, Willow Grove Swim Club and Kramer Manor Park. Created in 1924 by New York-based Kramer Realties, the 51-acre area was specifically marketed to black families who faced discrimination elsewhere. The result was an enclave of African-American residents who became like an extended family. The Kramer company fought for FHA funding on behalf of the residents after they were initially denied because of their race.
You can read all about it here, watch an informative video presentation and experience oral histories of past and current residents such as the late Deacon Elwood Green, Sr., an original homeowner, here.
More History
Visit the Fanwood Museum for more on the history of our town, or click these links for the history of:
A look back at the history and origins of the Fanwood Memorial Library and some highlights from the past.
It is interesting to note that almost from its inception, Fanwood has had a free public library. The idea of a borough library grew from a group of literary-minded women who first met in 1874 and originally called themselves the Saturday Book Club, later known as the Fanwood Book Club. They met regularly at various homes in the borough during the late1800s.
In 1899 they donated their entire treasury of $26 to the borough, along with their collection of 156 books with the stipulation that they be loaned to the public free of charge.
The mills of government ground for three years and in 1902 the borough council submitted to the voters the question of approving the club’s offer, thereby establishing a public library. With a vote of 36-14, the collection was formally accepted by the mayor and council on March 11,1902, “for the sum of one dollar and to be known thereafter as the Fanwood Free Public Library.” The sum of $25 was provided for maintenance the initial year. Thereafter, the library continued to be supported primarily by private donations.
The book collection was kept in a small room in the rear of the Post Office, then located at the southeast corner of North and Martine avenues, not far from the location of the present library. The salary for the acting librarian was resolved by appointing Fanwood’s postmaster to the position at a salary of ten dollars a month. The small library room had its own entrance from the street, but no connecting doorway into the post office. Borrowers entered, selected their books, went outside and around to the front entrance of the post office, where the postmaster checked out their selections.
In 1902 the square mile borough boasted a total population of less than 400 and was largely a resort area, but in 1919 Fanwood had 724 residents and the first regular librarian, Miss Katherine MoAney, was employed to meet the growing demand for books. A succession of librarians followed until 1927 when Miss Janet B. Carter was appointed to the position, which she held until 1942. Under her watchful eye the library expanded twice in the next ten years. In 1928 the Post Office was moved to a different location and the library took over the entire building on North Avenue. It was reported at the time that “the library has outgrown its present quarters and a large room formally used by the Post Office is being remodeled for library use”. It was also reported that “the borrowing of fiction books from the state library in Trenton was discontinued since the borough council granted the library an increase in its budget.” The increased size of the library in 1929 resulted in book circulation increasing from 1,624 books in 1926 to 5,928 in 1929.
In 1942, as a result of a growing collection of books, the library moved to a store front on South Avenue, about 100 feet west of Martine Avenue. Miss Carter supervised the moving of the books before she resigned, and Mrs. Reginald M. Harris was appointed as librarian.
By 1950, with a collection of 7,000 books, Fanwood was in dire need of larger, more permanent facilities. Voters approved a public referendum that year providing for the construction of a new borough library. On December 16, 1951, the present red brick colonial building was completed at the intersection of North Avenue and Tillotson Road at a cost of $45,000. It was to be the first building constructed by the Borough of Fanwood exclusively for its use since the borough was incorporated in 1895. The 1951 building dedication plaque, which is now mounted in the Library entryway reads: Dedicated December 16, 1951: In Memory of the Citizens of Fanwood Who, in all Wars “Gave the last full measure of Devotion”. So nigh is the grandeur to our dust; So near is God to man; When Duty whispers low, Thou must; The youth replies, I can. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
In the belief that a public library is one of the most practical forms a war memorial can take, the new library was named “Fanwood Memorial Library” in memory of the men of Fanwood who lost their lives in the service of their country. The plaque on the memorial rock at the foot of the flagpole on the library lawn honors these veterens from W.W. II 1939 – 1945, Walter R. Stewart, Richard Gere, Theodore F. Ginder, Hugh MacLennan, William J. Brohm, III, John T. MacDermott, Donald E. Vinton, Edward Stagaard. [Korea 1950 – 1953] Charles S. Burns, III. [Vietnam 1961 – 1972] Eugene W. Hendricks, Edward M. Klaniecki. Valour gave them a Common Death; History a Common Fame; Posterity a Common Monument.
By the late 1970’s the library, which had a very vibrant and successful 20 years of service, had again become overcrowded and plans for an addition were developed. Bruce Buckmaster became the director in 1980 and in that year building began on an expansion of the library on both levels. The expanded space, now close to 6,000 square feet, was reopened to the public in 1981.
In 1997 Dan Weiss was appointed director and has dramatically taken a small suburban library into the 21st century with improvements in facilities, staffing and service.
More History of the Fanwood Memorial Library
Here’s more great information (and cool pictures) tracing the different locations of the library since it’s inception in 1897 from Josy+Jersey+Photos – formerly the New Providence Daily Photo blog. Thanks Josy
Here’s a intersting note about the architectural choices made:
“The architecture of our new England Colonial forebears is mainly distinctive for its simplicity.
It was based principally on economic necessity. Construction was simple and materials, which would stand the test of time, were for the most part easily obtainable.
Buildings were devoid of modeling, or ornamentation, but their fine outlines and good composition have had an enduring quality of distinction.A library building for a residential community such as Fanwood should follow this form. A building of Colonial residential character answers our requirements and is consistent with the heritage of our community.
The use of hand split red cedar shingles, (called shakes in earlier times) and reclaimed brick for the exterior side walls exemplifies this patter and creates the atmosphere of softness and durable character sought in this type of structure.
The interior materials and decor add to this atmosphere and give the desired tone of reflective and enduring calm” (Fanwood Memorial Library, 1951, p. 1).NOTES
* I’m actually not sure about the dates of use for the second library; I’ve got some conflicting information from various sources.It seems like the original building may have stopped being used in 1928, been renovated, started use again in 1930, and shifted into that storefront building sometime between 1930 and 1940.
** If you’re looking for good vintage photos and historical information about Fanwood and Scotch Plains, NJ, the history society has a boatload of photos that are digitized and online.
Reference:
Bousquet, R. and Bousquet, S. (1995). Images of America: Scotch Plains and Fanwood. Arcadia Publishing: Dover, NH. ISBN 0738563188.
Fanwood Memorial Library. (1951). “Dedication Ceremony and Observance of Fiftieth Anniversary (March 11, 1952).” Retrieved from The Joint Digital Archives of Fanwood and Scotch Plains. http://www.thejointlibrary.org/archives/ [pamphlet]
The Joint Digital Archives of Fanwood & Scotch Plains, New Jersey. (dates various). “Libraries: Fanwood Memorial Library.” http://www.thejointlibrary.org/archives/ephemera/ .
FOOTSTEPS THROUGH TIME:
A WALKING TOUR of FANWOOD
Take this self-guided tour anytime.
Who lived in some of the historic homes we pass by every day? What is the story behind the building at the corner of North Ave. and Martine? What happened to the famous Fanwood Oak? Where was the ”haven for city dwellers,” complete with tennis and croquet courts and other amenities for 40 guests?
Local Fanwood historian Joan Skubish has put together a walking tour of some of the more interesting historic sites in Fanwood. Joan is currently Chair of the Fanwood Historical Preservation Commission and a long-time advocate for preserving Fanwood’s history.
Download the Brochure below and let the walking begin!
The tour starts at the train station and covers parts of North and Martine Avenues.
Questions? Email Carol Campell: campell@verizon.net.
The Fanwood 12 * GOLD STAR MAP & Tribute SIGNS

This website was built to honor the brave men and women of Scotch Plains and Fanwood who put their lives on the line for this country. There is a photo for all of the registered veterans in Scotch Plains and Fanwood. Veterans are categorized by their respective towns and then listed in alphabetical order by last name. If the veteran has provided further information about themselves, that information is displayed on their page. If you or a family member is a veteran, that has ever lived in Scotch Plains or Fanwood, contact spfheroes@gmail.com to be added to the archive.






















































































