Fanwood Memorial Library Policy Manual
Subject: 4.3 Job Descriptions
Subject: 4.3.3 Head of Youth Services
Head of Youth Services
The Head of Youth Services will promote literacy, foster a love of reading, and assure the highest quality of Library service to the children and families of Fanwood. They will demonstrate interest and commitment to public service by interacting with the staff and public in a professional, courteous and friendly manner.
Under the direction of the Library Director, the Head of Youth Services is responsible for the development and management of all Youth Services for children, tweens, and teens. The Head of Youth Services will be certified in New Jersey as a professional librarian, with a M.L.S. from an ALA accredited college or university, and a minimum of five years experience that includes collection development, programming, and supervisory responsibilities
Core Responsibilities – The Head of Youth Services will:
- Evaluate and select library materials for children based on knowledge of community needs and collection development. Maintain a well-rounded and diverse collection by weeding, replacing lost materials, and ordering materials as needed.
- Design, prepare, implement, promote, and evaluate a summer reading program in conjunction with the statewide reading program.
- Conduct outreach services to local public and private schools, other local educational organizations, town departments, and at special events in the area.
- Promote community awareness of Youth Services and facilities through outreach services, website, social media, and fliers.
- Perform circulation duties such as patron registration, checking books in and out, and placing reserves.
- Assist patrons with research, reading and other information requests.
- Provide Reading Advisory to children, teens, and parents.
- Create attractive displays and exhibits.
- Develop, promote, execute, and evaluate youth programs and events, including but not limited to: storytimes, crafts, book clubs, summer reading, performers, and STEAM activities.
- Work a variety of shifts, with some evening and weekend hours required.
- Perform other tasks, as assigned. Support overall library operations and services through projects, outreach and other duties as appropriate and assigned.
- Keep abreast of, and implement, as needed, new and existing technologies, including, but not limited to research databases, digital platforms, and other computer-based applications and services.
Additional Administrative Responsibilities
- Report to the Director with regard to planning, programming, scheduling, budgetary needs, department problems and suggestions.
- Along with the Director, and in line with overall circulation needs and scheduling, participate in establishing work schedules and monitor attendance and related matters.
- Assist in the hiring, training, and supervision of staff, including annual reviews.
- Participate in policy discussions, programming meetings and scheduling updates; Communicate with staff and hold department meetings as needed, and involve staff in Library programs and department decision-making
- Manage the budget assigned to Youth Services; Seek grants and other forms of outside funding.
February 1, 2024